Thursday, March 31, 2011

Like Making A Masculine Card Isn't Hard Enough...

My husband is one of the more creative and totally eccentric and fully self expressed men I know and when he gets an idea in his head for something, not much will stand in his way until it is achieved.  I love that about him.  Yes, I even still love that about him when his seemingly cocamamy ideas involve me.

His uncle is having his 80th birthday soon and we decided that we weren't even going to go there with a present for him as we wouldn't even begin to know where to start with that one.  My totally left of center husband thought to give his soon to be 80 year old uncle one of my cards containing a personalized letter and a soccer ball!  When he first told me of his idea I though, huh?...the man can hardly stand up unassisted, let alone play soccer! Needless to say, I was all ears knowing that there is always a method to my darling husband's madness.  He told me that when he was younger, his uncle used to kick a soccer ball around with him a lot, because his own father was often away with work.  He also said that it was during one of those manly bonding (soccer ball) sessions that he was told about the birds and the bees. (I had to chuckle to myself on the sly  seeing that we have seven kids, he obviously didn't take too much note of his uncle on that occasion.)  Bless.  So the soccer ball was just a wonderful token of his appreciation for the times with his uncle and just a small tribute to how much he appreciated those special one-on-one times with him and to let him know how much he always looked up to him.  His uncle could give the ball to his great grandson if he wanted, but the thought was there.  Awww.  How sweet is that?  So my job was to make a card for his good old uncle, with pleasure and now a greater and newfound sense of fondness.



I have decided, at the last minute, to enter this card into Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge.  It was a total fluke that this week's challenge is all about the big banner.  So with my firm belief in serendipity, I present to you the 80th birthday card made with love:


Thank you ever so much for allowing me to share my musings with you.  It means more to me than you may know.  *Hugs* 


Supplies:  



  • Stamps: Papertrey Ink's Masculine Motifs, Have a Ball, and Birthday Basics ("...Age is a Work of Art" sentiment on inside), and Star Prints
  • Paper:  Bazzill C/S in Deep Teal, Kraft, and Green, Papertrey Ink's Stampers Select and  Rustic White C/S, and Websters DP
  • Ink:  Versacolor Chateaux Gray, Brilliance Silver, Versafine Vintage Sepia, Distress Inks in Antique Linen, Pumice Stone, and Vintage Photo
  • Accessories:  Papertrey Ink Woodgrain Impression Plate, Boxy Banners Die, Banner Borders, and Seeing Star Dies, American Crafts Brads

11 comments:

Gayatri said...

Wow! I really love the wood effect on the banner card. Is it some leather you have embossed? What did you do. Its got that leathery shine to it. Its fantastic and the colors are perfect for a masculine card. Love the ball too :) What a great tribute. Great work as always, Jen!

Teresa said...

Wow! What a great masculine card! I love the colors and the woodgrain Impression plate that you used.

Tenia Nelson said...

Very cool masculine card!!

Lynn Mercurio said...

This is a fantastic card. The woodgrain make such a wonderful masculine design. I'm sure your husband's uncle will be as thrilled as he is impressed with your crafting ability. Thanks for choosing to play along with the Waltzingmouse Stamps Sketch Challenge this week!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

I love how masculine this card is - from the colors you chose to the lovely woodgrain! I'm sure your husband's uncle will love it! Thank you for joining us at WMSC this week!

Mona Pendleton said...

What a perfect masculine card Jen! Love the embossed wood background and the sentiment! Surely this will make both your hubby and his uncle happy :) Thanks so much for playing along with the WMSC :)

farmhouse-story said...

this is such a great guy card and i love the story behind it, jen:)

Diane Jaquay said...

This is a great masculine card! I love the banner shape, and the wood grain, and the stamped star is perfect!

Mad for Paper said...

What a beautiful story. Your card is fantastic. Your husband sounds like a sweety.
TFS
Ang

Pauline said...

What a wonderful card for a man! I love the cut out shape, and the woody tones, just lovely.

Taheerah said...

This is just fab Jen! Perfect for a masculine card. That woodgrain gives the perfect earthy feel and the colours are just great together.