Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Believe In Yourself!




This card is a quasi-Asian inspired offering for this fortnight's CR84FN Color Challenge showcasing Yellow, Red and Neutral.  Not a particularly difficult combination for me to work with, so I thought I'd use it as a stepping stone for a card with a multicultural themed influence which is more of a stretch for me.  Not sure how the Papertrey Ink sentiment fits in with my Eastern theme, but I am sure Confucius would have had something snazzy to say mirroring some sentiment nearly the same.  Bit of a stretch perhaps, but hey...it seemed a good idea at the time.  The nifty Bonsai tree and decorative strip below are from a cool set from Waltzingmouse Stamps called Asian Gardens.  It's a delightful set with additions that I believe add a lovely difference to my collection.  The barely visible background stamp used on the mustard colored decorative rectangular die cut (Spellbinders) is an Impression Obsession red rubber goodie called Wallpaper.  

I also tried my hand at using some Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powder that I had kicking around my stash.  It's a funky alternative to traditional or more slick and glossy embossing powders.  It embosses rather sand papery and crumbles off in patchy sections which is very cool.  I don't use it very much, but its fun texture is worth considering from time to time for another crafting point of difference.   After lassoing the card with a few rounds of wax string and cornering the edges, that seemed enough for my stained paper offering.  

Thanks a big bunch for visiting my blog.  It means a lot knowing you've taken the time to stop by.  Cheers!

12 comments:

carol (krillsister) said...

Gorgeous card. Love the embossing and the hint of background texture at the bottom.

Deborah Frings said...

Lovely! I really like that bold sentiment and beautiful tree! Thanks for playing along with CR84FN this week!

Mona Pendleton said...

WOW Jen! What a beautiful card! Love the WM Bonsai tree! Fab job with the fussy cutting! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

Joyce said...

This is really gorgeous. I love how all the colors contribute to such a rich feeling. I think Confucius would have loved to receive this card.

Candy C said...

Your card is very pretty! I love the sentiment. Your Spellbinder die cut rectangle is a lovely color and looks nice on the card. I also like your "Bonsai" tree. Nicely done card! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Anne B said...

Oohh, very nice! I'm sure Confucius would approve. Love your take on the challenge :)

Marybeth said...

Such a beauty Jen! The sentiment is just perfect . Great way to use the red. Take care!

Emma said...

Love this card Jen. The colours are so rich and vibrant.

Sue Lelli said...

LOVE the Asian tree and the texture of the embossing powder! FAB card, Jen! THX for playing with us at CR84FN!

Cathy Weber said...

Such a neat color combination Jen...love the bonsai tree with all that red and yellow. I recognize that Impression Obsession stamp too, it looks just perfect with the WM set. So nice to see one of your beautiful cards.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! I love all your cards!! Soooo cuuute!!! :-)

Cassie_lu said...

such a stunning card