Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Eat Cake But Maybe Not In A Light Box.





This card was made for the first CR84FN Color Challenge of the year.  The colors  are Med. Blue, Orange, and Yellow and are in honor of this premier challenge group's first birthday. YAY!  Not my usual vintage colors, but I think I have inadvertantly made them my own.  I say inadvertantly because this image is my first ever shot using the photographic light box I got for Christmas.  I am amazed at how blah (read: kinda grubby) this photograph looks in comparison to the pictures I took this morning in the sunlight streaming through my daughter's room of this very same card.  The  light box cuppie looks burnt and the glittery golden sprinkles that were lovingly bestrewn atop the spotty orange frosting looks like the cupcake landed business side down onto my much neglected kitchen floor.  What?  It's the holidays afterall, right?  The wrapper has also been painted with gold acrylic paint which also gives off the air of being as if I hadn't even bothered.  Double sigh.  Oddly enough though, the organza ribbon has perked up no end with the newly acquired light box treatment.  Talk about the perfect mango.  Go figure?

The light box only came with a double sided backdrop with gray on the one side (as pictured) and a "bright as" electric blue on the other.  I tried to slip in a 12x12 sheet of white cardstock up the back, but the box is 16" square, so I had a rather unslightly gappage which made it immediately apparent that that was not going to be the ticket.   I must add too that I prefer my pictures to have a little bit more attitude to them.  The gray looks solemn and bland to me.  Perhaps I should have gone with the shocking blue. Now there's a thought.  So how do you fine photographic folks do it?  I'd love to know how to make my lightbox sing.  I sure would appreciate any tips on how to head towards lightbox mastery. ...A bit ambitious perhaps?  Come on, help a sister out.

Oh, and here's a pic of the also unedited natural light version so you can see exactly what I've been carrying on about:



Funny (as in odd) isn't it?  It's the same card, I promise.   I sure look forward to hearing or reading rather, what you think, because I sure could use your expertise.

Thanks so much for popping by.  I shall look forward to seeing you anon.  Here's to an inspired day for us all!

20 comments:

Elena said...

It's surprising how different the cards looks in the different lighting! I actually like the light-box picture, but the topping does look a little burnt, lol. Do you edit your pics at all? Maybe try turning down the saturation a bit and see if you like it better? I'm no expert at all, and constantly struggle with taking pictures of my cards! I miss the summer sun for taking better pictures!

Joyce said...

I see what you mean about the sprinkles. However, I have burnt my fair share of cupcakes, so I didn't even notice it at first. I am no photo expert, so I can't comment on that, but I will say that your card looks super yummy.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful! I love your card in any lighting. The bow is gorgeous.


Wishing you a year of health, happiness and creativity! Happy New Year!

~Cheryl~

Marybeth said...

Love the card! Quite amazing how different the colors turned out. I am sorry I don't have any advice on what works or does not work. Your cards always look good to me.

Jennipher said...

Jen this is gorgeous! Your work simply astounds me.

Michelle (aka Meechelle) said...

I agree, I like the card in both pictures, with the exception of the glitter, lol! Other than that, it looks great in the light box. I too struggle with this ALL THE TIME!

Karen C. said...

Happy New Year, Jen!!
Your cupcake card looks yummy! Love the colour choices and all the glitter. It is a puzzle as to why the two pictures look so different. I'm always fussing with my pictures, but I do edit Photoshop Elements and it does help with some of the variations.

Kara said...

Love this card. Im sure you'll get the hang of your new light box. Have fun experimenting!

carol (krillsister) said...

Gorgeous card as usual Jen. Love that background paper. The bow is to die for both in color & how well you tied it.
Sorry that I can't be of help with the lightbox. I don't own one. Have you tried different angles?

Gina Lindsay said...

This is very pretty! I can't believe how much difference there is between the two photos, thanks for sharing both!

Anonymous said...

Wish I could help you with the lightbox, Jen but I've personally not come close to a lightbox ever lol. Maybe Google might help better (maybe sites that teach etsy sellers how to photograph their work in a lightbox?)

I love the cupcake in any case, it looks delectably mango flavoured and the touch of honeycomb pattern with the sprinkles just nailed it- oh no! I want to eat paper! Lol! :)

Sue Lelli said...

Jen, LOVE the cupcake for our first birthday - whether it is burned or not! Actually it is a lovely card and your bow is just stellar! THX for playing with us at CR84FN!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

I put my lightbox away the minute I got results like you got and haven't had it out since! I eagerly await any tips you get and can share! :) Love the lil cuppie and the topping and little foiled wrapper are brilliant (in the 2nd photo!) :) Happy New Year!

Mona Pendleton said...

Happy New Year Jen! Love the scrumptious cupcake and that beautiful bow! Thanks so much for joining along with CR84FN :)

Michelle said...

I hate to break it to you, but a light tent isn't a be all, end all. The light tent - at least for me - just provides the white background where I don't have the kitchen sink or the messy living room in the background *giggles* Then I take it in to PaintShopPro to size and edit for brightness, and then I take it in to PhotoShop and boost the color. It takes about 3 minutes per photo so it's not near as laborious as it sounds.

Oh - and I like how you made the little cuppie wrapper look so real!

Clare said...

Gorgeous, LOVE that yellow ribbon! I don't have a light tent, all I use is two sheets of white paper and daylight, I do adjust the lighting in Photoshop though. I was thinking of getting a light tent. I like the results of the first one , the blue background looks great with the yellow! Didn't notice the sprinkles until you mentioned it!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

WOW! What a brilliant take on those (to me very difficult) colors.
WONDERFUL card!
Have a great day, hugs, Karin

Tammy said...

Fabulous bow! Love your card shape too.

Deborah Frings said...

I see what you mean about the light - the sparkle in the natural light is gorgeous! Lovely card. Thanks for playing along with CR84FN!

Dr Sonia S V said...

So colorful it looks yummy!
Cheers from Bangalore, India
Sonia
cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com