Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Take Flight Lepidoptera!




I have just returned from a family holiday away sans papercrafting and thought it high time I posted a little something before my crafting DTs dash my intentions completely.  It's only been a bit over a week without crafting but it seems centuries.  So today I have had to dig back into the archives and at the very least post to let you know that out of sight doesn't always mean out of mind...out of my mind maybe, but certainly not out of mind.  *wink* 

This card was made a few months ago, but I hadn't gotten around to posting it.  It is a fun number full of lots of fabulous flutterbies and other assorted Lepidoptera loveliness.  This was a fun card to make because I let loose with a motley mélange of Tim Holtz Distress Ink splodgings and splotchings.  Visually, or in theory rather, I always enjoy the process of using Distress Inks with reckless abandon, but I must say that I get a bit twitchy with the "Surprise Chef" nature of the process.  I never know how it is going to end up and my sometimes meglomeniacal inner crafter worries that my project will get away from me a bit.  So really, as much as I love Distress Inks and the neat things you can do with them,  I do feel somewhat at the mercy of the inks as I use them.  Probably just me...Dunno?

I did, however, enjoy using the marvelous Papertrey Ink's Love Lives Here dies designed by the uber talented Melissa Philips.  Golly is she ever good.  The die cut butterfly was cut from two kinds of funky materials: cork and natural wool fiber paper.   I do recommend you give these two unconventional papers a go as they are rather intriguing. Talk about a textural delight.

The stamps used were across Hero Arts  (Star background), Papertrey Ink (Birds Of A Feather for the sentiment), and Tim Holtz for Stamper's Anonymous' Papillon for the vintage butterflies.  Fun.  The other nefarious bits and bobs were from my stash for the most part, save the 7 Gypsies DP, which is a bit thin, but still way cool and the Papertrey Ink Woodgrain Impression Plate and Rick Rack die.  Love.

Well, I am now off to play crafting "catch up" as the family week and a bit away did little for building up my coffers of cards to sell at the weekend markets.  Much by way of rabbits to skin, chickens to pluck, and fish to scale.  I know you absolutely know how that goes.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I enjoy your visits and any comments I am fortunate enough to get immensely.  x

13 comments:

Kim O'Connell said...

Ummmm, this is STUNNING!

carol (krillsister) said...

Wow! What amazing texture this card contains. Love the contrast between the frame & woodgrain background. Very creative butterfly with the cork 7 paper fibers.

Mayol said...

Super Wow! The textures here are awesome. What a great inspiration!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Glad to have you back. Love the details on this beautiful card. Sure makes me think spring is around the corner. Enjoy..

Joyce said...

Wow--this is so beautiful, as always!!

Marybeth said...

LOl, enjoyed your post. Wow lots to look at in this card so many beautiful textures. Love the way the butterfly looks.

Deb said...

Love your card and all of the wonderful textures. I enjoy reading your posts, as usual. It is a good thing that I have read the book by Jane O'Conner Fancy Nancy, Explorer Extraordinaire! to my daughter or I would've never known what a lepidotera is. So cute!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Jen! Such an artsy, creative one! Love the white washed frame and that stunning 3D butterfly! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

Jackie Rockwell said...

Ooooooh full of rich yummy collage elements! Love the cork behind the butterfly!

Clare said...

Lots of lovely texture in this! Fabulous!

Cammie said...

Love all the wonderful textures! You may worry not having complete control with distress inks, but you wield them masterfully.

Karen C. said...

Love the way you've used all the butterfly images and textures on your card. Fabulous colours as well!!

Kelly S. said...

I have always loved the sentiments from that PTI set. I am hoping since I just bought Candice's new sentiment set, my urges to have BOTH sets will calm down! SO perfect with the butterfly, and that botanical paper is amazing! This card is shimmering in the sun...it's positively GOLDEN!